• Register

Wat Suan Dok

Built in 1370, Wat Suan Dok is situated approximately 1km from the walls of the old city. Wat Suan Dok, translated into English means, “temple garden flower” as it was initially a royal flower garden and was given to a revered monk by King Kue Na. The temple features a large number of Chedis (a mound-like structure also referred to as a stupa). The tallest Chedis is 48 metres high. 

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep

Build in 1383, Wat Doi Suthep is one of the most famous and important temples in the Chiang Mai province. The temple sits on top of Mount Suthep on the west of the city and serves as a landmark. To get to Doi Suthep you can either walk up the mountain, through the jungle or take a taxi/red truck. On a clear day the views from the top of the mountain are stunning. 

Wat U-Mong

Wat U-Mong is situated at the foothills of Mount Suthep approximately 2km west of the old city. Most of the temple is underground and there are many brick tunnels which are walled with various statues and shrines. The temple was built in 1297 by King Manglai for a revered monk but was later abandoned for six centuries. Surrounding the temple are trees which are decorated with many short Buddhist proverbs in both English and Thai.

Wat Chedi Luang

Wat Chedi Luang was built around 1400 although later additions were made. The temple was originally 82 meters tall but was reduced to around 54 meters after the upper section of the temple collapse due to an earthquake in 1545. As a result the “Emerald Buddha” statue that was installed there was removed in order to ensure the preservation of it’s condition. It was replaced with a replica made from back jade. 

Wat Jet Yot

Wat Jet Yot was built in 1455 and is situated on the Chiang Mai super highway on the north west of the city. The temple was host for Eighth World Buddhist Council in 1977

Wat Bupparam 

Built around the 15th century, Wat Bupparam is situated approximately 500 meters east of the Tha Phae Gate. The temple features an array of beautiful statues, ornaments and flower gardens. There are a wide variety of different statues ranging from mythical creatures to disney characters. 

Wat Chiang Man

Situated in the north-east corner of the old city, Wat Chiang Man was the first temple to be built in Chiang Mai. The temple was built in 1296 by King Mengrai and was included in original construction of the city. The temple features two rare statues - The Crystal Buddha and the Marble Buddha.  

Wat Phra Singh

Built in 1345, Wat Phra Singh is one of the most important temples in Chiang Mai. The temple is located to the west of the old city and conforms to the classic Northern Thai architecture. It also includes a learning centre for those wishing to become a monk. The temple contains the Phra Singh Buddha, which is an important Buddha statue. 

S5 Box

Login Form

S5 Register

You need to enable user registration from User Manager/Options in the backend of Joomla before this module will activate.